Chances are, if you look in your medicine cabinet right now you’ll find a jar of Vicks VapoRub. After all, it’s a staple for anyone who gets colds (and isn’t that all of us?). Sure, its main use is to relieve chest and nasal congestion, but did you know there are a million other ways VapoRub can make your life better?
When your cold is gone and you have some leftover Vicks, don’t put the container away. Use it to solve one of these other common problems!
1. Believe it or not, VapoRub can keep the bugs at bay: Bugs hate the smell of eucalyptus, which is very strong in VapoRub. Dabbing it behind your ears will keep them away. No harsh chemical sprays needed!
2. Keeping pets from going to the bathroom indoors: Put some VapoRub on the spot where your dog likes to have its accidents and he’ll stay away. Dogs do not like the powerful smell.
3. Heal your stretch marks by rubbing the product on them.
4. Ease migraines by applying Vicks onto your temples.
5. Soothe aching muscles by rubbing some Vicks into them. The cooling sensation will feel great!
6. Dry up acne breakouts: A dab of VapoRub on a zit will eliminate pimples overnight.
7. Use VapoRub to heal your foot fungus and soften callouses by applying it nightly.
8. Keep the cat from scratching everything you own by wiping a bit on their favorite scratching places. This will stop them in their tracks.
9. Cure earaches: Saturate a cotton ball with VapoRub and leave it in the infected ear. This will reduce pain and inflammation.
10.Use VapoRub to safely remove ticks without breaking them apart and risking infection. Just wipe some over the tick and they’ll release on their own.
11. Spread some on your feet to banish cold symptoms. Your feet absorb the medicinal properties of VapoRub and you should wake up feeling totally restored!
12. Use Vicks to help heal bruises. It reduces the appearance of bruising by driving blood away from the surface of the skin.
Sharona Gott/ Flickr
13. VapoRub can be used as an antiseptic for cuts, too! Dabbing them with the product can help heal them fast and prevent infection!
Travis Rigel Lukas Hornung / Flickr
14. Clear up sinus headaches fast.
Flickr / Wu Hunna
15. Treat eczema.
Flickr / Care_SMC
16. Clear up fingernail or toenail fungus.
Flickr / KTesh
17. Heal tennis elbow by rubbing Vicks onto the area that hurts.
Flickr / eltpics
You can use Vicks VapoRub to reduce belly fat. To do this, mix one tablespoon of baking soda, one tablespoon of crushed camphor, one tablespoon of alcohol , and half a jar of Vicks. Then, stir it until it becomes a paste. Now, apply this solution to your belly and wrap it with saran wrap and perform your cardio exercise. Once you are finished, rinse it off and continue for several weeks.
If you’re an actor, you know how difficult it can be to muster tears on command, especially if a scene isn’t particularly clicking for you. The simple fix of rubbing a small amount of VapoRub below your eyes will allow those tears to flow without an issue.
Vicks VapoRub can also be used when removing a splinter. If you rub a small amount on top of the affected area before you take it out with tweezers, it will help cool and ease the pain you feel when it pinches the nerve endings on your skin.
This may come as a surprise, but many people rub VapoRub below the nostrils of their male racehorses to keep them from attempting to follow the scent of other female horses. This way, it keeps them focused on the task at hand—winning a race!
Did you know there were so many different uses for this product?
Share these brilliant tips with your friends. They’ll be glad you did!