It used to be that Hollywood superstars had to keep their sexuality under wraps. Thankfully, those days are a thing of the past and celebs can now share their beautiful relationships with their fans without fear of censure, and that’s pretty exciting!
You might know these celebrities themselves pretty well, but chances are you don’t know nearly as much about their partners. That ends now! Check out the men and women behind some of your favorite gay celebrities…
1. Jodie Foster: This actor and director was single for years, but it wasn’t until she met Alexandra Hedison that she found her forever love, and married the impressive photographer in 2014.
2. Neil Patrick Harris: This former child-doctor married longtime boyfriend David Burtka in 2014, and the two are proud fathers to an adorable set of twins. Burtka is an actor and dancer in his own right!
3. Kristen Stewart: Since her first appearance in Twilight, Kristen Stewart’s love-life has been a source of fervent public interest. These days, she’s left the vampires behind for girlfriend Stella Maxwell, a runway model, and Victoria’s Secret angel.
4. George Takei: This Star Trek actor has been with husband, actor Brad Altman, for over thirty years! Takei has been one of Hollywood’s biggest LGBT rights supporters and is known for his outspoken, sometimes-controversial views on the subject, and Brad backs him up every step of the way!
The Daily Beast
5. Jane Lynch: In 2005, the former Glee star was named one of Power Up’s “10 Amazing Gay Women in Showbiz”. Lynch married clinical psychologist Lara Embry in 2010, though they divorced in early 2014.
6. Jim Parsons: A breakout star on the CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory, Parsons wed longtime boyfriend art director Todd Spiewak in May 2017. Parsons calls his relationship with Spiewak “an act of love, coffee in the morning, going to work, washing the clothes, taking the dogs out—a regular life, boring love”.
7. Queen Latifah: The Jazz-Rap Queen is intensely private when it comes to her love life. But she has reportedly been in a relationship with actress Eboni Nichols for years.
8. Alan Cumming: In 2007, he became civil partners with illustrator Grant Shaffer and the two wed in 2012. Cumming has received numerous awards for his work in the LGBT community, including the Vito Russo Award as well as the HRC’s Humanitarian Award.
9. Kate McKinnon: This comic actress introduced the world to girlfriend actress Jackie Abbot after the two embraced following her Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series win at the 2017 Emmys.
10. Ricky Martin: When this Latin superstar first hit the pop charts it was clear that he had sex appeal for days, but he mostly kept his romances away from prying eyes. Until he met Jwan Yosef…
In 2010, Martin officially came out and wed the Syrian-Swedish painter in early 2018. Talk about a beautiful way of announcing who you are to the world!
11. Ellen DeGeneres: After coming out in 1997, DeGeneres’ career suffered and left her “mired in depression”. But Ellen has become a household name, and her longtime relationship with Portia de Rossi has served as an inspiration to couples everywhere.
12. Cynthia Nixon: Following a 15-year relationship in which she and her partner Danny Mozes had two children, the former Sex in the City star and current politician married education activist Christine Marinoni in 2012.
New York Post
13. Elton John: The singer married longtime boyfriend filmmaker David Furnish in 2014 and has become a key figure in LGBT politics worldwide.
14. Wanda Sykes: In November 2008, Sykes came out during a same-sex marriage rally in Las Vegas. Sykes had married girlfriend Alex Niedbalski a month earlier, and in 2009 Alex gave birth to fraternal twins, daughter Olivia Lou and son Lucas Claude.
15. RuPaul: Arguably the most successful drag performer in the world, there’s more to this star than you know. RuPaul has been with partner Georges LeBar since 1994.
The Drag Race host and Australian painter wed in 2017 on the anniversary of their first meeting at the now-closed NYC nightclub Limelight. Can you say, adorable?
16. Jillian Michaels: This fitness guru has two children with her ex-fiancée Heidi Rhoades, an adopted daughter from Haiti, and a son with Heidi.
17. Anthony Wayne & Kendrell Bowman: Broadway performer Wayne and image consultant to the stars, Bowman, are easily one of the industry’s most preeminent power couples.
Together, they produced the Off-Broadway musical You Make Me Feel Mighty Real: A Sylvester Concert, which was a commercial and critical success.